Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shots...

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate; I was in disbelief when I saw that this was a topic of discussion in parenting magazines.  You mean you have a choice when it comes to watching in horror as a needle punctures your daughter's chunky, brown thigh and all you can do is hold her clinched fists and you feel like you double-crossed her because just a moment ago she was babbling happily and you warned her of nothing, but knew the exact moment of impact because her gummy smile formed an 'O' and then outstretched so wide that you could see her tongue vibrating as urgent, piercing shrills bounced off the walls while your face is strained with sympathy?  There's a choice?  Apparently, yes.  There are those who do research and those who practice new age child rearing and those who go against societal norms and those who say if it worked for me, then it'll work for my child.  I'm the last 'those'.  Though I like to be 'hip' and 'in the know', and don't always go the way of the norm, the term 'research' just does something to my soul, and nightmares of 30 page grad school papers come to mind.  Hey, what do I know about 20 letter illnesses and their debatable preventions? (Crickets chirping) So yeah, Logan will be vaccinated and I'll feel awful, but not as awful as I would feel if she contacted sfdteghfujhjd or worse dexzokjhygfddgaw.  Oh the horror!  Just my thoughts... on being Logan's mom.   

1 comment: